Friday, August 29, 2008

"Teeth"...

...was a pretty decent movie; "vagina dentata" and all that. Here's 5 minutes on it...getcha learn on, yo.



Anyway, I went to the dentist today for the first of my next five, yes five, drillings. Excluding last week for my initial check-up (in which they couldn't even start the cleaning process for fear of waking my screaming nerve endings), I haven't been to a dentist since 1996 when I had an infected molar pulled. Before that? Shit...I couldn't tell you. In addition to the cavity farm I'm currently cultivating, I've got to have an abcessed tooth, which is broken off at the gum line, surgically removed in a couple of weeks. I think the technical term for the condition of my teeth is "fucked up". Luckily, I have absolutely no fear of the dentist; it's basically just a pain in the ass to have to deal with it. I was also encouraged to get rid of my tongue piercing, which has done all sorts of minor damage to my teeth. That was a no-brainer. That little fucker is sitting on the stove in a pot of boiling water as I type, to be relegated to the box of trinkets I keep for occasions such as this. I had my tongue pierced for the second time about 12 years ago (the first was in 1992, I think...got it while I was on a day pass at my first rehab), and have never taken it out, so I do feel some kind of misguided attachment to it. I mean, hell, we've been through a lot together, right? And at one recent point in time, having a barbell through the middle of your tongue was actually somewhat subversive, especially here in Minnesota. But all I have to do is think about every 16 year-old suburban mallcore rat that has one now, and I breathe easier knowing I haven't actually grown up too much and given in to "the man". I guess I don't have to really start worrying until facial tattoos come into vogue.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahaha....I can totally relate to the part where your dentist asked you to take your tongue piercing out...Mine's been on my case ever since I had it! The damage it did on my teeth is still visible. But from one day to another I was just done with it. Maybe it was because, like you so clearly pointed out, "every 16 year-old suburban mallcore rat that has one now". I still remember my dad chasing me with a monkey wrench wanting to help me to take my first piercing out (at 16...no-one in my hometown had piercings at the time, ahhh the good times when piercings weren't mainstream...).

And fear of the dentist...I don't have it. I'm blessed with strong teeth and I don't have anycavities...yet ;)

I hope all is well with you!!

*HUGZ* Jill

Anonymous said...

Hahaha....I totally can relate to the part where your dentist asked you to take your tongue piercing out...Mine's been on my case ever since I had it! The damage it did on my teeth is still visible. But from one day to another I was just done with it. Maybe it was because, like you so clearly pointed out, "every 16 year-old suburban mallcore rat that has one now". I still remember my dad chasing me with a monkey wrench wanting to help me to take my first piercing out (at 16...no-one in my hometown had piercings at the time, ahhh the good times when piercings weren't mainstream...).

And fear of the dentist...I don't have it. I'm blessed with strong teeth and I don't have anycavities...yet ;)

I hope all is well with you!!

*HUGZ* Jill

Anonymous said...

hey this has nothing to do with this blog but i see that you read alot and if you like to laugh(duh) Yo should check out any book bye tim dorsey theirs a seriers and it stars out with Florida Roadkill i laughed so hard through the whole thing my stomach hurt so check it out i think you'll enjoy it. thanks....


shane

Anonymous said...

Tonsillectomy, 14 teeth pulled, and after 3 years, just went back to the dentist to find out I have 4 cavities and mild gum disease...

As far as I'm concerned, any mouth/nose/throat doctor is Satan.

-Chelsea

Anonymous said...

Wow, i knew that the tissue in the mouth and vagina is pretty much the same but it never crossed my mind that teeth could grow down there. I wonder if they'll investigate a way to transplant those teeth --but then again that shit would probably really hurt! I can't imagine them not having to take out the tissue surrounding it, which would probably be the equivalent to a cervical scrap! Ugh! Shit, I just made my teeth cringe! I'm done.