Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Los Angeles/Week One: Work


Back in Minneapolis, safe and sound.


Week one went very well...


Solid physical re-connections are always important with other human beings that are of importance to you. I (of course) expected too much to get done in the 3 days that my singer had with us, but we walked away with a new song, the beginnings of a couple other new ones, and a re-kindled excitement to this whole music thing that we share. Lots of possibilities on the horizon, changes coming, directions being explored...all very exciting stuff. And the best part is that we all actually still like each other when we're not nodding out, wasted, and/or tweaked out (depending on individual drug of choice). It may sound simple, but take away all of that padding after all of those years, and sometimes people wake up and go "What the fuck am I doing with you?!?" I just read an interview in Bass Player magazine with Nine Inch Nail's new bassist Justin Meldal-Johnsen, who's played with everybody, and found this quote to be quite applicable; in response to the question "What makes you the right guy for this gig?":

"...another thing (is) more basic...a clear, drug-free persona, because that's the way he rolls. We're all grown men in our 30's. and we want to do this really well. We're pros, you know? Punctuality, preparedness, a direct understanding of the human-to-gear ratio...he needs all of that."

I'll leave you with a few more shots from the work week:





Next Up: Los Angeles/Week Two: Play (or "Why Los Angeles Is More Fun Than Minneapolis")

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You guys look fantastic. We should do lunch again sometime.

Anonymous said...

This is great news! I'm so glad to hear you are all getting along and doing well. I've been waiting far too long for you guys to get in gear, and the time has finally come. I can't wait to hear the new masterpieces you come up with, and I'll be expecting a Dallas or Fort Worth tour date when y'all hit the road!(I had to say y'all at least once, I'm from TEXAS!)

Michael A. Dangerously said...

My excitement is such that I can't express it in the written word. Instead, I'm going to string together syllables. gargenfargenfucktargen.

Now that that's out of my system, I can thank you for suddenly inspiring me to go write some songs. Huzzah!

Jessa said...

I know the feeling of having someone rouse one morning and change their perspective on life, based on having reanimated; eyes open, and head clear.

It’s like the cotton has been removed from your ears, and all the fuzz/shelter is gone.

I am glad that after everyone cleaned up, and let life’s veracity sink in, that you all still found it in you to be together (and even more so, enjoy the endeavor), and create.

I imagine sometimes it is hard to grow and organize at new seams.

Take care,

-Jessa Lynn

Profligate said...

Good to see you guys are back on track. I really appreciate the updates man. I've been following the band since 99 and i have to admit i pretty much gave up on you guys a couple years ago. I hope im not being naive to think you guys are sincere in having exercised all the insignificant little distractions that have come between your abilities and your potential.. Not to belittle you in any way, but i do think that artists have a responsibility to create art, and anything that compromises that is just selfish and mastabatory.

Keep the updates coming man, i'm really excited to hear the new stuff.

Anonymous said...

While I am giddy with the thought of new musical offerings, it is really great to see everyone looking so healthy and happy. I wish you guys all the best during the creative process and beyond.

Anonymous said...

You ever get your 6-string Specter bass back? Always liked that one...

Anonymous said...

Hola from cold Finland!
Haven't written here in a while... im listening to "Trepanation" and suddenly felt the commitment to write here something; YOU GUYS ROCK!

...not that you didn't know that already.

Everything good to you, your family and your band!