Sunday, September 14, 2008

Back to Work!


I am currently gearing up to get on a plane with my keyboard player very fucking early on Monday morning.

Destination: Los Angeles.

Purpose: To rendezvous with my guitar player and recently transplanted singer.

Goal: To work for one week and walk away with completed demo recordings for our new album.

I'm really excited. This is our first major get together in...shit...a long goddamn time. I've only seen my singer once since last November, and it wasn't a pleasant experience whatsoever. But this is looking to be a very fresh endeavor. He and I haven't been sober and creative together since 1999. It's a very "the-stars-are-all-lining-up" kind of feel. We have A LOT of material to work with; I alone have almost 20 completed and recorded songs (sans vocals), not to mention what the other four guys have. If anything, the hardest part will be keeping focused on the goal without getting lost in the vast amount of amazing material we have to deal with. This shit is good...I mean really good. Of course, I'm biased as all hell, but I can say with all honesty that these are the strongest songs right out of the gate that we've ever had. The last time my singer and I had all of our faculties in order and worked to our potential, we got signed to a major label, lived in a mansion for almost a year, and then went on a world tour for 18 months. When our engine is running properly, we are a dangerous group of men. Add 7 years of life experience to the mix, and you, gentle reader, have on your hands a force to be reckoned with.

So I'm going to try and not over-pack too badly. I'm a totally obsessive boy scout, and usually end up more prepared than I actually need to be, but better safe (2 back-up terabyte drives) than sorry ("Dude! It won't turn on!").

And after a week of working, my girl is flying out to meet me, and we will proceed to experience all that Los Angeles has to offer. Well, as much as we can cram into one week. I can tell you this: there aren't enough days in the week to even begin to visit all the dining establishments I want to. But, I will try, making sure at the very least to hit:

-In-N-Out Burger
-Nozawa
-Los Burritos
-Carney's
-The Rainbow Bar and Grill
-Dan Tana's
-The Chart House
-Roscoe's Chicken & Waffles
-Canter's
-Pink's
-Jack-in-the-Box
-Carl's Jr., and
-Bossa Nova

First order of business upon my return: Join a gym.

8 comments:

Michael A. Dangerously said...

I'm excited. Very excited.

Anonymous said...

I can see you touring with Nails. It must be my useless evolving extrasensory. I heard the E.T's love hotdogs - so watch your back.

-g

the#7th said...

good luck this week. hope it turns out to be a productive week. cant wait to hear some new material and see you guys back in the road. you guys are truly the #1 in my list. have a safe trip .

Anonymous said...

You mean you have been deprived of the heart attack-inducing goodness that is In-N-Out?! Le gasp! You poor thing- I always forget that us west-coasters are pretty badass mofos with In-N-out and such. Luckily (or unluckily, as I am trying to eat healthy shit nowadays) my cousin works at an In-N-Out right next to a Krispy Kreme, where her husband works. O life! Why doth you tease me so?

If you're ever in the SF area, lemme know and I'll hook it up with some awesome cheeseburgers and donuts, dude!

-k-

Anonymous said...

Yo! Sorry, don't have too many big words for ya, just a note to say hey. I'd like to catch up with you and the guys. I've been thinking about hopping on the bike and head out Californey-way for a couple days. give me a shout when you get a chance - 602-300-2526.

Ciao,
Alan

oh what the hell... antidisenstablishmentarianism.

Rachel H. said...

YAY~ I'm going shopping so that I have new clothes to wear when we go shopping!

Anonymous said...

Take me with, please. There's a cute girl out there I'd like to hug.

That, and my job won't follow me. I fold well, and you can leave me at the airport ;).

But seriously, have fun. Enjoy the not-cold. I hope it proves to be a fruitful trip full of good news.

Wyn0 said...

Hey man im very excited for you guys and undescribably happy to hear you and the singer are clean. I saw an interview 1-2 years ago and i really thought the singer would be dead if he didn't kick the habit. You guys are amazing ive saw you in Norfolk Va 3-4 times and instantly was blown away each time. Ok enough gratification, in your blog you had a line like "its been forever since ive heard something (music) that completely knocked me out". If you havent already heard of them , check out Byzantine and hit me up on myspace (Wyn0)if you answer this thing and lemme know what u think. Now go kick some ass in the studio , and see ya in Norfolk!!