Friday, November 21, 2008

More Lists

Recent Downloads:

-Bad Brains: Discography
-Men At Work: Business As Usual
-Cab Calloway: Various (1932)
-Lard: Discography
-Supertramp: Breakfast In America
-Ratt: Invasion Of Your Privacy
-Queensryche: The Warning
-The Cure: Discography (and then some!)
-Holy Fuck EP
-The Breeders: Last Splash
-David Lee Roth: Skyscraper (which time has not been kind to...)

...and as much as I hate to admit it, (gulp) Van Halen's "5150". In academic circles, I am what they refer to as a "Roth Purist". When I was a kid I didn't really care that much. If Eddie was playing in a band with the yodeling toothless meth head that lived behind the 7-11 next to his mansion, I didn't give a shit. I owned and listened to 5150, OU812, etc, non-stop, because Eddie was my God, and if science would have allowed it, I would have anally birthed his children. As I got older though, and began to listen to music as a whole rather than just focusing on guitarists, I realized that I kept returning to VH's first six albums...all with our good friend David Lee Roth at the helm. I also realized that I hated Sammy Hagar's whiny douche voice.

But a friend of mine and I got to talking about the mighty Van Halen last week, and I got all nostalgic and downloaded "5150" from Demonoid. I still haven't listened to it. As stupid as it sounds, I feel like I might be disrespecting the Rock Gods if I go ahead and give it a spin. I'll also feel like a sellout. And a douche. Douche by proxy.

Maybe one time wouldn't hurt. Just don't tell anybody.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha, we all have our secrets!-- you could have kept that one though.. ha ha you sell out!--but no really give it a spin have fun with it! musical evolution is good sometimes, it's okay to listen back.. In fact earlier today i was thinking about what are my future kids going to think about my music collection... All i could conclude was they better say "Holy shit! mommy was fucking hardcore" or *sigh* I'll just have to beat them.

Anonymous said...

The Van Halen DLR era was like from a different planet, a circus if you will. 5150 is a great album (if you can live with Hagar's vocals), but imho F.U.C.K. and Balance are the best with that line-up... been a VH fan ever since their debut came out, back in '77 or something =]